Week Commencing – 9th Sept
In Year 6 the children have been learning about:
- In Literacy we have started our new book “Cosmic” by Frank Cottrell Boyce. The story tells of Liam and his friend Florida who get caught up in the adventure of a lifetime, it is an action packed comedy with a space theme which we are sure the children will enjoy. In parallel, we will begin the term by looking at grammar, spelling and punctuation: using synonyms, antonyms and noun phrases to support our planning for a descriptive setting.
- After a number of interesting maths lessons looking at: estimation, the Fibonacci sequence, perimeter and area of complex shapes and some practice SATs, we have started looking at place value on numbers up to 10 million.
- In Topic lessons we are learning about the dynamic earth: we have discussed the state of the earth from both a historical context and geographical make up; we have thought about the earth in the context of space, the universe and the big bang.
- In R.E. our new question is – Creation and science: conflicting or complementary? This question will take us up to half term and will be supported by our studies in topic, science and English. The purpose is to get the children thinking about God’s creation alongside scientific explanations.
- In Art we have been looking at natural objects: leaves, shells, pebbles and acorns: we are making observational sketches using guidelines created by artists for the Eden Project.
Thank you for your continued support at home.